Back to top

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to bring to my appointment?

For appointments to get your individual taxes done, you should fill out a copy of the Income Tax Data Itemizer and bring it to your appointment. You can also e-mail us a copy before you have your appointment so we can review it before you come in. The Income Tax Data Itemizer is a worksheet for you to complete that summarizes your personal tax information. If a section doesn't apply to you, then you can leave it blank. On page one of the itemizer, there is a section entitled "Things to Bring". You should review this list and bring in any of the items that would apply to you, such as W-2's, 1099's, mortgage interest statements, prior years tax returns, etc.

If you are a small business owner, see FAQ question #3 to learn about what tax information we will need from you in order to prepare the business portion of your tax return.

If you have any questions while filling out the worksheets or have any other questions about what to bring to your appointment, then please contact us and we will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Can I mail or drop off my tax information instead of coming in for an appointment?

Yes. If you don't live in Minnesota, we can prepare tax returns for individuals and businesses in all 50 states. If you do live in Minnesota but prefer to drop off your tax information, we can also accomodate you. You can mail, e-mail, or fax us your tax information. Once we get the information from you, then we will start working on the return. As questions or issues arise, we will contact you via phone or email to get the questions answered and issues resolved. After the return is completed, we will contact you to discuss your tax situation and make recommendations to save on your tax bill. Before we can e-file the return for you, we'll need to get your signature. We will e-mail you a secure copy of the tax return in order to get your signature on the Form 8879. You can fax or e-mail the Form 8879 back to us after you have signed it. Once we receive the signed form, then we will e-file the return for you and the tax return process will be completed.

For more information about what tax information to send us, review the first question in the FAQ section entitled What do I need to bring to my appointment?

I have a small business. What information do you need to prepare the small business tax return?

If you have are a small business owner, there are a couple of different ways for you to get us your tax information. If you use QuickBooks, then you can send us an "Accountant's Copy" of the QuickBooks data. This is a full working copy of your QuickBooks file that we can work with and make adjustments to. After we are finished working with the Accountant's Copy, then we send you the adjustments that we made and you can import those adjustments back into your QuickBooks file. If you'd like to send us an Accountant's Copy of your QuickBooks data, then please contact us for information on how to prepare the file and send to us.

If you don't use QuickBooks, then you can fill out the Income Tax Summary for Small Businesses worksheet. This is a simple worksheet broken down between income, inventory, and expenses. If you have accumulated receipts for business expenses throughout the year, then you can categorize the receipts, add them up, and put the totals on this worksheet. We then use this worksheet to prepare the business portion of your tax return.

If you are a Mary Kay consultant or director, then you can fill out the Income Tax Summary for Mary Kay Business worksheet. This will provide income and expense categories for you to break out your receipts into. In addition to the Income Tax Summary for Mary Kay Business, you should also send us a copy of the Income Advisory Statement which Mary Kay will mail out to you by the end of January for the previous year. If you did not get one in the mail, then you can get one at the Mary Kay In-Touch website under Resources.

Please note, as long as you fill out these worksheets with your small business tax information, then we will not need any of your income and expense receipts. We will request them separately if we need them.

If you have any questions about filling out the small business worksheets or if you have any other questions about what other information we will need to complete your tax return, please contact us and we will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Where do I send my tax return?

If your federal and state tax returns were e-filed, then you do not have to mail a copy of your return to the IRS or to the state tax agency. We will mail or email you a copy of the e-filed return for your records. We e-file over 90% of the returns we file. However, we cannot e-file amended returns or prior years federal returns so you will need to mail a copy of those returns to the IRS and the respective state tax agency. There are also a few states where we cannot e-file the state returns. To learn about what states we can and cannot e-file the tax returns, please contact us. After you receive a copy of your tax return from us in the mail, please review the instructions included with the tax return to determine whether or not you need to mail the return and where you need to mail it to. Then please sign the return and send it to the IRS in the envelopes included with the return. W-2's must be stapled to page one of the federal return when it is sent to the IRS and state returns DO NOT need to be included with federal tax returns mailed to the IRS. A copy of the federal return IS usually attached to the state return, but please review the instructions we sent you with the tax return to determine whether or not a copy of the federal return needs to be included with the state return. If you need more information about mailing your returns or would like to know where to mail your tax returns, please go to the IRS website and visit their mailing address information page.

How long until I recieve my refund?

E-filed returns with a direct deposit will receive a refund within 2 weeks. E-filed returns with a refund mailed out will receive a refund within 3 weeks. E-filed state returns are generally processed faster than federal returns. If you mail your return, you should receive your state refund within a month and your federal refund within 2 months. To check the status of your refund with the IRS or State Governments, you will need your social security number, your refund amount, and your filing status.

How do I obtain a copy of my return?

When your return is finished, we normally mail or email a copy of your return to you for your records. You can also stop by the office to pick up a copy. We typically make copies of any supporting documentation and then give you back the originals. If you misplace a copy or need a copy of prior years returns, please contact us to have a copy mailed or emailed to you.

Can I e-File my return with you?

Absolutely. The State of Minnesota requires us to e-file all returns unless the client specifically requests that the return be mailed. We charge a small fee to e-file, but you will receive your refund in much less time, generally within three weeks of filing.

How do I sign e-filed returns?

For e-filed returns, we will prepare your return and then mail or email you a Form 8879 - IRS e-file Signature Authorization for you to sign. We cannot e-file your return until we get a signed copy of this form. The Form shows your adjusted gross income, taxable income, tax liability, and the refund amount or amount due for you to authorize before we e-file the return. Also, upon your request, we can email you a copy of the return before it is e-filed. We also request payment for the return preparation before we e-file the return.